1674 - Beginnings of the Jesuit gymnasium
The beginnings of education in the Duchy of Cieszyn date back to the early Middle Ages, when parish schools were in operation. During the Reformation a Latin school operated for several decades in Cieszyn, the first secondary school, which was later liquidated after the return of the dynasts to the Catholic religion. It was only after the introduction of the Jesuits in Cieszyn in 1670 that another secondary school was opened in October 1674, namely the Catholic secondary school. The school managed by the Jesuits was a typical junior secondary school, teaching in Latin. Initially, the school had few students, but with time their number grew. The school was completed by many people known from the history of Cieszyn Silesia, including Leopold Jan Szersznik.